Thursday, May 1, 2008

May Day

I thought it was March that madness was associated with, but there certainly seems to be an air of lightheartedness around the CTL today. Perhaps it is sheer panic with STLHE only 45 days away!

I experienced my first formal meeting of the CTL staff - what a jolly affair. I would like to generate the same level of banter and craic (good Irish word which has no translation into English) at my team meetings, at the same time as getting through the agenda with such speed. This reflects my perception of the work environment and work colleagues which you have in CTL. I was also struck by the range of talent and expertise residing within the centre, and I will have to make an effort to come to talk to more of you about your roles, and how distance and flexible learning are happening at Windsor.

I have been doing some forward planning today so that I can make contact with colleagues at other Universities in Ontario. This exercise has made me realise how valuable time is, and how easy, without deadlines, it is to let it slip away. Also how valuable inside knowledge is, within our fairly small world of academic development.

At UCTL in Canterbury, we have a weekly newsletter just for UCTL (there are 29 of us but quite a different composition ot the CTL) and today's contained a quote of the week (a new feature). I think it reflects the role that many of us in academic development play and this is certainly good advice.

‘Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked’. Lord Chesterfield (1694 - 1773)

Today I will post you a lovely photo of New Zealand, specially to further whet Larry's wanderlust.It is the view of the Pacific from my flat in Sumner.

No comments: