Sunday, May 4, 2008

Belated Saturday

As Saturday is not officially a day at work, I forgot to write anything here yesterday. So this is really Saturday's post. I did spend some time reading, following those good conversations with Alan. One of the books I looked at , but it wasn't really on my topic is called "The Learning Paradox" by Jim Harris . I think it belongs to Brian as I have borrowed it off the shelf in my office. The first page after the contents page reads:

"Right now, before you begin the book, I want you to rip out this page. Yes, you understood me correctly, I said rip out this page. If you are in a bookstore, please pay for the book first."

The author then goes on to give the reader permission to desecrate the book. This got me thinking about student texts and student engagement. I have not been a great fan of the University of Canterbury's (and probably many other Universities') practice of creating text readers (large bound collections of articles, extracts from books etc.) instead of encouraging students to use the library facilities.

But this concept of making the book your own and being encouraged to make notes in the margins, underline, etc is about engagement with the text. That is what we want our students to do, and that is really well facilitated by the creation of the readers. It means the students don't need to underline and highlight the library books, which really annoys some readers (as I found out as we discussed this very issue over dinner at Michael's house). I have always staunchly believed in the continuing existence of books as I can't imagine a life without them, but perhaps thinking this way will help me see myself into the 21st century. I now see a really good reason for electronic textbooks so that we can all annotate them. Bringing all those electronic ways of receiving, marking, giving feedback on student work and engaging with texts is actually better facilitated electronically. Maybe I will have to abandon my pencil (and after buying a pencil sharpener yesterday!!!).

I was the lucky recipient of a ticket to hear the Windsor Symphony Orchestra yesterday evening as Brent, Bev's partner, was occupied composing a piece for the University of Windsor Women's Chamber Choir, which won the University Choir category of the 2008 CBC National Radio Competition for Amateur Choirs, to sing later this month in a concert featuring the winners in all categories. Well done to the Choir and to Brent. I thoroughly enjoyed the concert and the social with Bev, Lorie and Ed afterwards. So thanks Brent. So life is certainly not all work.

This photo is not from outer space, but rather from the east coast of the South Island, New Zealand. The Moeraki Boulders are huge spheres of rock on the beach. For more information try http://www.newzealandnz.co.nz/destinations/moeraki.html


2 comments:

MoiraB said...

Hi Alison
Sounds like you're having a great time - pleased to see you're a blogger at last! Your photos bring back lots of memories for me..
This post got me thinking about how libraries might get more involved in the process of students engaging with electronic texts. Lots of e-books have facilities for making notes and annotating, but we don't really explain them to students or encourage them to use them. Maybe there's some scope for exploring this? I also wondered if we would want all the annotations to be individual/personal or if there might be value in sharing/ using a wiki maybe so that a whole group annotates a text together?
Moira

Alison said...

Thanks for the feedback. Having just mastered simple blogging, wikis is one stage too far for me at the moment, but I'm sure that it would be a really good way to get students engaging both with the text and each other.