Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Another week gone

That was how I entitled a post I started last Friday but was so tired I didn't write anything intelligent, so have just deleted it. So I'll try again. I seem to have settled into a routine which involves going to the office, working on the next workshop (which involves reading, searching the Web, talking to people etc.), coming home and catching up on a personal life through the computer and spending lots of time exploring the internet. One of the things that is of benefit to me from this time, is the better understanding of the lure of the internet and how it can take a lot of time, and produce a lot of good stuff but a lot that is not so good.

The weekend brought an opportunity to be a sightseer with my next door neighbour, Marie. We went in search of the beach on the shores of Lake Erie. We found a lovely spot, but my Canadian colleagues discussed the merits of Lake Erie beaches compared to Bermuda and Hawaii, and decided there was no competition. However it was a very pleasant spot in the 33 degree heat which has left me melting. On Sunday Marilyn, the CTL administrator, and I went and explored Fort Malden in Amherstburg and learnt about the wars, battles and skirmishes between the Americans, British and the Native people. The original fort was built in 1796 by the British who then destroyed it in 1813 as they retreated. It was subsequently rebuilt by the Americans and the British is varying stages, but not much remains today. But what there is is interesting. I have never seek a musket loaded and fired before in genuine 19th century style.

Monday brought Nick, the next of Alan's visitors, from the University of Queensland. So my seat won't have time to get cold. Despite a limited amount of conversation with Nick so far, we have smiled ruefully at the characteristics of the academics with whom we work - in UK, Canada, Australia and New Zealand. Again another bit of serendipity. I have been working hard on a workshop on learning spaces and why it is important to have a mixed team int he decision making process for redesign and redevelopment. One of the buildings that I have heard about for some time in the Engineering building at the University of Queensland. Then Nick turns up and says he has lots more photographs of other interesting spaces which are being developed in Brisbane. So he has got his first workshop to organise!

The thunderstorms we have been having for the past few days are amazing - the whole sky lights up, and boy can the rain fall hard. But no tornados yet thank goodness.

Marie at the beach at Cedar Creek

No comments: